Sociology Degree Requirements
UNIVERSITY GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS 40 hours
- General Education Requirements: 36 hours
Refer to Section Five of the University Catalog for details on the General Education requirements.
- ASO 100: Student Success Seminar 1 hour
- Wellness 3 hours
- Writing Intensive Course (Hours incorporated into Major/Supporting/Gen. Ed./Free Elective Category)
- ACCT - Sociology majors will fulfill the ACCT with SOC 470. (Credit hours are incorporated into major requirements below.)
- Upper division courses (42 hrs. distributed throughout Major/Supporting/Gen Ed/Free Electives categories)
MAJOR REQUIREMENTS 30 hours
- SOC 131 – Introductory Sociology (3)
- SOC 232 – Social Statistics (3)
- SOC 395 – Research Methods in Sociology (3) (Fall only)
- SOC 462 - Sociological Theory (3) (Fall only)
- SOC 470 – Senior Seminar in Sociology (3) (Spring only)
PLUS a minimum of three (3) hours selected from:
- SOC 420 – Social Organization (3)
- SOC 425 – World Systems Analysis (3)
- SOC 463 – Social Stratification (3)
- SOC 465 - Demography (3)
PLUS 12 HOURS of sociology electives, nine (9) of which must be upper division hours.
FREE ELECTIVES 50 hours
TOTAL CURRICULUM REQUIREMENTS: 120 hours
When scheduling, you should note the following:
The following classes are offered ONLY during the Fall semester
- SOC 363: Appalachian Images in Film & Song
- SOC 395: Research Methods in Sociology
- SOC 462: Sociological Theory
The following courses are offered ONLY during the Spring semester:
The following courses are offered BOTH Fall and Spring semesters
- SOC 131: Introductory Sociology
- SOC 232: Social Statistics
- SOC 235: Social Problems
- SOC 400: Race & Ethnic Relations
The following courses are offered as needed
- SOC 300: Sociology of Humans & Animals
- SOC 313: Social Deviance
- SOC 320: Mind, Self, & Society
- SOC 322: Sociology of the Mass Media
- SOC 330S: Sociology of Migration
- SOC 340: Juvenile Delinquency
- SOC 345: The Family
- SOC 353: Health & Illness
- SOC 375: Criminology
- SOC 383: Environmental Sociology
- SOC 420: Social Organization
- SOC 425: World Systems Analysis
- SOC 455: Collective Behavior
- SOC 463: Social Stratification
- SOC 465: Demography
- SOC 350: Selected Topics in Sociology (Topics may include: Animals and Society, Community Based Research, Sexualities and Society, Sociology of the Mass Media)
Summer: No Set Schedule
SEQUENTIAL COURSES AND PREREQUISITES:
►Completion of SOC 131 (Introductory Sociology) is advised before taking ANY 300-level course.
►Before taking SOC 395 (Research Methods in Sociology) the student MUST complete SOC 232 (Social Statistics).
►Before taking SOC 462 (Sociological Theory), the student MUST complete nine (9) hours in SOC courses.
►Before taking SOC 463 (Social Stratification), the student MUST complete three ( 3) hours of SOC credits.
►Before taking SOC 465 (Demography), completion of SOC 131 (Introductory Sociology) and SOC 232 (Social Statistics) is advised.
►SOC 470 (Senior Seminar in Sociology) is restricted to Seniors.
A student may minor in Sociology by completing the following courses:
PLUS 15 HOURS of sociology electives, 12 of which must be upper division. (3 hours of upper division Anthropology may be applied to the 15 hours).